1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Hardware Can a computer use a chipset and graphics card at once?

Discussion in 'General' started by Anna Hussie, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Anna Hussie

Anna Hussie Banned

My computer has an integrated chipset on the motherboard and I am planning on installing a new graphics card. Will the computer run both the chipset and graphics card, or will it automatically switch over and use only the graphics card? And if it uses both the chipset and graphics card, will this increase my graphics performance compared to if I had only a graphics card and no chipset on my motherboard?

2. lng

lng New Member

No, your PC will not use both (unless you create custom drivers for a specific application). Your PC will normally auto-disable the on-board video when the new graphics card is put into place. Sometimes, rarely, you will have to go into the BIOS and disable on-board video. If your PC was built within the last 10 or so years, you won't see this problem.

3. Mimoun

Mimoun Administrator Staff Member Director Verified Member

The switching of chipset graphic on the motherboard vs graphic card is mostly used in mobile computers (notebooks and laptops). This is done to preserve battery life. Some desktop computers have this build in if it's being promoted on energy consumption.

4. Recidivist

Recidivist VIP Member

If you install a graphics card your PC will use that, not the on-board chipset. Even if it did use both, and it were possible to force it to use both, it would most likely decrease performance rather than boost it.