1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General CMS recommendation?

Discussion in 'General' started by jojonic, Jan 10, 2010.

1. jojonic

jojonic New Member

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good CMS or web host which will give me nice simple operation but still allow flexibility in functions?

I have been recommended Joomla! but cant seem to download all the odds and sods it needs to run. I use Namo webeditor but would like an online or easily downloadable CMS front end for my mum to add content if possible....

Any suggestions welcome!

Jo

2. jojonic

jojonic New Member

Guess I should have said what its for really...

Its for a welsh pony stud website, just text and photos on all pages, no shopping cart needed, search function not really needed... very simple really.

Something along the lines of boretonwelshponies.com/ or endhousestud.com/

3. Jiggles

Jiggles Member

I user website baker. Simple and works well. Loads of add ons for it too. start.websitebaker2.org/en/introduction.php

If you wanted you could send me the site template and i would make one for installation for website baker.

4. Olaf

Olaf New Member

It depends on what you need, Joomla is very general but not the best one, often is wordpress enough or maybe you should try Drupal

5. Kronik03

Kronik03 New Member

I've used a few content management systems, my favorite was called e107, not telling you to use it, but check it out!

6. Olaf

Olaf New Member

Never heard about e107 before, but I will check this system, anyone else with experience about e107?

7. jojonic

jojonic New Member

Thanks for all the advice / info. Im liking website baker, very similar to another platform Ive used before so am finding it very straightforward to use. Im presuming it works fine with any web host I choose? Again if people feel like making a recommendation on that front all advice is welcome! The ones I have used before are oneandone.co.uk and 123-reg.co.uk

I dont have any template ready to use... Im going to have a look at whats available this week.

If I wanted you guys to help me customise or design one, how would that work? I feel like Im taking a lot and not giving too much back yet!! I will also be on the scrounge for logo development later on :p

helpimadj if you could help me to load up the template to website baker once ive got it sorted Id be very grateful.

J

8. Jiggles

Jiggles Member

Jojonic, if you were to send me the compleated files files to me I could easily do it for you. Kalax(at)me.com. (at) = @

9. darkie

darkie New Member

I tried Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress. All of them are quite good, each in its unique way, but Wordpress is mostly for blogs, and Joomla and Drupal have got quite a steep learning curve, not that easy to grasp at once. For an inexperienced user I would recommend one of the online website builders. Among those I have tried, Site123[dot]com seems the most user-friendly. It's both drag-and-drop for those who have no clue how to spell HTML (lol) and allows access to the source code for people with some expertise.

10. kombany

kombany New Member

yeah wordpress is enough good for blogs. but otherwise I think write your own is easier than customizing a jomla or drupal

11. Lonus

Lonus New Member

Hey Helpimadj,

I'm also using WB and i like it. I tryed to code template Beauty Salon for WB but I failed:confused: Can you help me with that??

Thanx already,
    Lonus!!

12. Tylor Merlyn

Tylor Merlyn New Member

Need a secure, private ‘place’ to share documents and other info, and for users to communicate with each other. Blogging offered, not taken up – I think people are afraid of html.

Users are situated at different institutions/companies and have different support (and systems). Something like iGoogle had been used temporarily but wasn’t taken up – ppl didn’t like interface. So this ‘place’ must be:

- INTUITIVE, very VERY simple for non-techie people to use
    - Have a decent amount of space for docs and things like ppt presentations

I am learning about all this, so don't know much!

All help appreciated!

13. tomw

tomw Member

If you're interested in trying out odCMS you can use the Beauty Salon template now. It is already coded.

14. Lonus

Lonus New Member

Thanx, I take a look at odCMS, But i realy would like to code the template for CMS website baker. Can you help me with that??

15. tomw

tomw Member

I'll be more than happy to help you out if you give odCMS a try.

Go to this site, you might get the help you need. Good luck.

16. Lonus

Lonus New Member

I installed odCMS, and i will give it a try.

17. tomw

tomw Member

Thanks for trying out odCMS. PM me the link to your website if you don't want to make it public.

18. Lonus

Lonus New Member

I can not chmod folder designs to 777, why is that??
    I want to create a folder in this folder but i have no permission, any idea?

19. tomw

tomw Member

You're not the owner of the directory you're currently in.

Can you give me the link to the site?

20. Lonus

Lonus New Member

Link sent by pm