1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design Fire Rescue Template problem with new browsers

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by jmphilipp, Jun 26, 2009.

1. jmphilipp

jmphilipp New Member

Hello, first off thanks again for the Fire Rescue Template. We made some small changes and it works well for us. However users using Mozilla Firefox 3.x or IE 7 or newer (unless it's configured for compatability mode) see the top picture hiding the buttons across the middle of the screen. Users with older versions of these browsers see the page properly. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?? The website is www.l275.org

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Jason

2. GDSweb.ca

GDSweb.ca Moderator/Developer

Hey Jason,

I had a look at your site and noticed the problem with the pic covering the navigation.
    Here is the solution:

The pic you have replaced the main image with is a different height than the original, so it is overlaping the navigation. You can adjust the height of the space where the pic go's by editing the CSS file and setting your banner image height larger (titled #banner), or you can cut down the image size and it will be viewed proper.

Next on the list of must-do's for your website is proper validation....
    I ran your website through W3C validator (http://validator.w3.org) and it came up with 16 errors and 2 warnings. This is a little problem that you might not see within the particular browser you are using, but it can render the webpage differently in other browsers thus creating problems of viewing for some surfers.

In the Zip File below, I have taken the time to mark-up your html so it passes validation and I have included your pic adjusted to the proper height so you wont have problem viewing the navigation.

I hope this helps, and I encourage you to check the rest of your pages for valid mark-up and fix what's needed..

Regards,

Kris J

**This thread should be moved to the 'HTML - XHTML - CSS' Section =)

Attached Files:

3. jmphilipp

jmphilipp New Member

Thanks

I'm blown away by your willingness to help me with this. Websites are far from what I was hired for and I've been muddling through it just hoping I don't make us look too bad!

I changed the .css file and it fits, and I have to run that file yet. Thanks again for helping - without you and the people who made this site available we would never have been able to put this together.

4. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

You firefighting guys do an awesome job. :)
    Glad Kris was able to help you out with your website glitch.
    How about a matching header for you site?
    If you want it, just right click and save as Logo.jpg and replace the one you have on site with the new one.

Cheers
    FWT

Attached Files:

• Logo.jpg
      Logo.jpg
      File size:
      58.4 KB
      Views:
  5. jmphilipp

jmphilipp New Member

Awesome

VERY COOL - thank you very much for sacrificing your time to help me. I can't thank you enough.

6. Carmi Stanko

Carmi Stanko New Member

In the early days we used to have a web browser requirement of Internet Explorer 5.5+. This was due to the fact that we had poor performance with other web browsers, as different browsers sometimes behave in unpredictable ways. This became a huge problem when we were attempting to debug problems, as an issue might be visible in one web browser but not another.

7. jmphilipp

jmphilipp New Member

I put your logo into use immediately Covert Pea, as it was (is) much nicer than the one I was using. Thank you for thinking of us.

I have been trying to make the header read
    "Neenah-Menasha Professional Firefighters, Local 275" but am unable to get it to look right after I try to add the IAFF logo. I hate asking this, but I am wondering if you might be able to make this work for us.

The logo is at : http://www.iaff.org/About/About.htm and it's the only logo on the page, and we would really like it to read: Neenah-Menasha Professional Firefighters, Local 275

with the logo at the left.

If it's a pain - please don't worry about it, we'll make do. If it's simple we would really appreciate the help, as always. Thanks either way.

8. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

Here you go Jason.
    Hope you'e having a quiet season over there.
    We're just getting into some bad fire weather here, looks like it's going to be a long hot and dangerous summer. :eek:

Cheers
    CP

Attached Files:

9. jmphilipp

jmphilipp New Member

This is great!

This looks awesome - thanks a million.

Once and a while I see headlines about wildfires over there - it looks like it can get pretty intense. I hope everyone stays safe this year and enjoys the summer. In the part of the country I live in our summers are too short and our winters long.

Thanks again CP - I know our members will love the new header.