1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Flash Flash Editing Error

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by kronic, Jan 27, 2010.

1. kronic

kronic New Member

After hours of searching I can not believe I actually found this site :D I am having an issue with editing a template I downloaded from flashmo.com. To be exact, this is the one:
    flashmo.com/preview/flashmo_200_black_white
    Now I admit I am by far no flash expert, but I have been messing with it for about 8 months now & have never had this problem. All I am attempting to do is change what the buttons say (found it in the AS), change the button color (found that as well) & change the background color (still working on figuring that out). But, each time I make the slightest change in something on that one template, all that happens when I go to view it is that it will load the main menu of buttons & thats it. It will not load any page from that point. I am really stumped on this. If anyone has the extra time to take a look at this & sorta help me along it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

2. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

Don't the people who design these templates have a 'help' section?

3. kronic

kronic New Member

correct, they do. However, once you view every help file there is & actually look into the flash file itself, you would see that the last step they say to do is not there (at least what I have spent 2 days looking for). I also submitted a ticket with no response in 48 hours either. So I guess I would have to change that to "not anything thats of real help."

4. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

LOL

Give it some time here too mate, I'm 'flash' illiterate but other members here may be able to give you help.

Cheers
    CP

5. kronic

kronic New Member

Im in no rush at all really :) I am just glad I finally found a site that is of some real use when it comes to flash :D & not just another spam site
    Regards

6. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Here are a few basic steps for editing button labels in action script panel and contents for all pages.
    Button Labels are located on the first frame of actions layer in most of the free templates.
    You can edit them from menu_label array values by opening “Actions” panel (press F9).
    Edit “contents” or “flashmo contents” movie clip in the library for all different pages which are linked respectively to button labels.*

* Note for old flash templates

After you changed button labels, you also need to change frame labels inside “contents” or “flashmo contents” and also “photos” (if there is) movie clip which must be exactly the same as button labels. Otherwise, you will see the loop because flash cannot find the frame label when you click on a button.

attached zip file - shows the change

Attached Files:

7. kronic

kronic New Member

yea I saw that help file as well. I know how to get to the buttons inside AS, thats not a problem, but when looking in for the movie file, I dont see anything there that I could possibly figure out. Thats why I am needing help. Forgive me if you made a change to that template but I did not notice it. Because if you changed the labels, you must have zipped the wrong file.
    My best guess for the movie file is the "all pages" file but even when looking at that one I still do not see it.

***edit: I saw the screenies that you made. As I said, I know how to edit it in the AS, but, I can not find the correct movie file to edit & just where to edit it at.

8. ishkey

My first post showed changing the menus as you know.
    This is the pages (xml files)
    Introduction is now Intorduction2
    Part two
    open flashmo_197_page1.xml
    edit this <content><![CDATA[<span class="title">Page One - Introduction</span>

to this <content><![CDATA[<span class="title">Page One - Introduction2</span>

Looks like this.

Do I not understand the question?

Attached Files:

• i1.jpg
      i1.jpg
      File size:
      15.4 KB
      Views:
    • p1.jpg
      p1.jpg
      File size:
      7.8 KB
      Views:
  9. kronic

kronic New Member

ok, I done that just like you said, now when I preview it, when you click on any button, it never takes you to the next screen. The buttons transition to the next screen, but, none of the pages load. :s what did I do wrong there?

10. ishkey

I don't know what you did wrong or before this which might have caused the problem.
    I down loaded the template and did what I posted - everything worked fine.
    Maybe try the two steps with a copy of the original template to see what happens as a test.
    I used Notepad++ for editing the xml files. It's a text editor.
    CS3 for the Action file.

11. kronic

kronic New Member

Now I am using CS4 & when I go to save it, it tells me that the format will be converted from CS3 to CS4. Which I am unaware that could cause any errors, so for kicks I went to save it as a CS3 by going to "save as" & it told me:
    http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff242/kronicga/CS4error.jpg
    So yeah, I downloaded fresh from the site, edited the flash file (AS for the label- introduction change to introduction2) in CS4, then edited the: flashmo_197_page_1
    in notepad. Making the line:
    <content><![CDATA[<span class="title">Page One - Introduction</span>
    change to:
    <content><![CDATA[<span class="title">Page One - Introduction2</span>
    & then once I do that to both & save & preview, only thing that works is the main menu loads in & thats it. Can not get any of the pages to load.

12. ishkey

Ok after you saved the file did you perform key strokes
    File
    Export
    Export Movie

To save the flashmo_200_black_white.swf file.

13. kronic

kronic New Member

no :s all I done was was save it & done a publish preview

14. ishkey

Yep
    funny thing about flash you always have to export the swf file when you are done editing things.

15. kronic

kronic New Member

ok, well iono what Im doing wrong at this point. I done the simplest change & now I even exported it to a new folder w/ the xmls & AS files & it still is not working for me. At this point I think I can just bash my head into a wall because I am not doing something or I am doing something wrong.

16. ishkey

Well now it could be something new in CS4.
    The way it handles action code or converts CS3.
    Take a look in the help files or at adobe, I'll keep thinking on it.
    Maybe someone else here may know.
    I've got to run into town for awhile so talk latter.

17. kronic

kronic New Member

ok
    *off to search*

18. kronic

kronic New Member

I have actually found quite a few things on adobe that produces errors from working with a CS3 template in CS4. I never knew the list was that long. I did however update my adobe programs with some manual fixes, yet that did not fix anything. I think I am basically out of luck with this template. :(

19. ishkey

Yea everything I read about was trying to go back to CS3, but I keep seeing
    "You can however save Flash CS4 files as Flash CS3 files (you lose everything in the file which is CS4-only) and then open it in Flash CS3." problem is it doesn't work.
    I haven't seen anything that said I opened my CS3 file in CS4 and had problems saving/running it in the CS4 format. You just can not go back words.
    You couldn't open Flash MX 2004 files with Flash MX either… It was normal back then, and it hasn't changed now.
    I'm sure you tried saving it with the two step process as a CS4. So I guess you could just create the template from scratch, after all you got a model to follow.
    It has got be a market ploy just to make money, like Quicken's sunsetware crapware. If you don't renew your crappy subscription it shuts off 1/2 your software.

20. kronic

kronic New Member

yea thats my luck :) oh well, I refuse to pay for CS3 :p so your right, just time to copy whats there & do some fine editing. This should be fun lol. Thank you for the help though.
    If anyone would not mind helping me change the labels on 8 buttons & has CS3 it would be greatly appreciated as well. :D