1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

PHP Forum Help (newb)

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by Dizzie92, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Dizzie92

Dizzie92 New Member

Im a total newb when it comes to stuff like this...but even tho i have a free hosting site, I would like forums to be on there. Could some1 please give me a COMPLETE tutorial on how i would do this. Thanks

2. elegos

elegos New Member

nowadays creating a new forum is a n00bproof process :p

1. download phpBB (free forum PHP software) from here: http://www.phpbb.com/
    2. upload the contents onto your server (like in a new 'forums' folder)
    3. goto yoursite.net/forums and follow the instructions, it will ask you host, user and password for you MySQL server (you should have one, if you don't, try here: http://www.freesql.org/ or @ any freemysql services
    4. you'll also create your own user, who will be the administrator of the forum
    5. when the procedure will end, you'll be asked to delete the install file (it will say you what to do in any case), then you'll be able to admin (add/rmove categories/forums) as like as you want ^^ (it's a graphical interface, not that hard to understand the functions ^^)

cheers

NOTE:
    If you're under a linux server the installer may say you have to edit some CHMOD values of some folders: nothing easier ^^ Goto your FTP client (if you don't have any, try www.smartftp.com), right-click on the remote folder and click on: Edit CHMOD and set it as the installer asks you ^^

3. Dizzie92

Dizzie92 New Member

ok, i uploaded it. but when I went to do the third thing u said, nothing happend. The source is, www.freewebs.com/dizzie92/forums/phpBB2 then a bunch of sub folders... I didnt get any set up or anything. I went to the install folder cause it seemd obviouse but there wasnt anything. Could you please give a little bit more detail, because I would really love to have my own forums. Thank you for the help

4. hugaming

hugaming New Member

i do not think that you can make a forum with freeweb

5. hugaming

hugaming New Member

6. Dizzie92

Dizzie92 New Member

i think you can, it let me upload the phpbb2 zip file and extract there. But after that im unsure, so idk if freewebs lets you, but i wanna try

7. elegos

elegos New Member

assuming that your homepage is http://www.freewebs.com/dizzie92/ and that your hoster supports PHP, and that you've uploaded the forums here: /forums/phpBB/, you shouldn't see that error page... try to upload the content of the phpBB folder into the /forums/ folder

EDIT: I don't remember if you then have to go to yoursite/forums/install or if it will redirect you from yoursite/forums... in any case now it doesen't seem to see the pages

8. Dizzie92

Dizzie92 New Member

nope you were right the first time, i went to forums/phpbb2/install/install.php and the screen came up blank and it told me to download somthing. So i guess free webs doesnt support php. Does anybody kno a free host that does support php?? thnx

9. elegos

elegos New Member