1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Services Google/Blackle

Discussion in 'General' started by cyberquest, May 26, 2008.

1. cyberquest

cyberquest New Member

The note below arrived in my email from a long time internet friend awhile ago. I was reading some posts about web pages being to dark - So I thought I'd mention this in case someone else hadn't heard about it and/or would rather use it.

-

Google is the second Brain to many of us. We use it frequently. It uses
    white screen which consumes high power. If Google had a black screen,
    taking in account the huge number of page views, according to calculations,
    750 mega watts/hour per year would be saved..

In response , Google created a black version of its search engine,
    called Blackle, with the exact same functions as the white version, but
    obviously with lower energy consumption: Help spread the word? Please
    use
    www.blackle.com

-

2. emilypal

emilypal New Member

Don't mind that " 750 mega watts/hour per year would be saved" but I personally prefer to save my eyes which are used to white background:).

3. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Read what they say one more time and I think you will see that they don't save any energy they consume more. How could that be you say.

"Blackle was created by Heap Media to remind us all of the need to take small steps in our everyday lives to save energy. Blackle searches are powered by Google Custom Search."

Blackle is just another company now sucking up power, hoping you you will fall into the green trap "we are green" switch to us.
    The report they sited has been out for some time and it's scope was limited to the 3 different power mode settings. Exciting pixels with a Cathod Ray Tube or Liquid Crystal Display still consumes the same power.
    Turn off your equipment, not sleep mode, will save power.

On Earth Day Google did have a black screen and even explained why the spoof, trying to get people to turn off all their equipment to save energy.

If companies really believe in being green earthwise instead of moneywise, then they should go back to the old ways of making things to last instead of having built-in adolescence, which has been the biz norm now for projecting the furture profits.

4. cyberquest

cyberquest New Member

Hmmm - I'm surprised there's comments left ! Well, like I said, some other post(s) brought it to mind...

Thanks for the feed back !

5. pezboy45

pezboy45 Mod/Design & Coder [Pro]

Yea, it's not a google site.
    If it was.
    I would have been informed.
    --
    Its a website by:
    http://www.heapmedia.com/

NOT google.

6. emilypal

emilypal New Member

Ishkey, I don't mind to save energy having turned my equipment off but it's really hard for me to read on black. For me it's better to turn off the computer and go outside for some hours instead of reading on black screen. Nevertheless thank you for your explanation.

7. cyberquest

cyberquest New Member

:eek:

had some time to look at this more today.
    so it is powered by Google but who really
    owns heapmedia ? hmmm ... J/k.. thanks
    for pointing that out.

Obviously, I never noticed - :eek:

8. earth018

earth018 New Member

18 different versions of “black google” online

There are around 18 different versions of “black google” online. The best one I’ve found is www.cleanblack.com. Cleanblack is the only version that allows you to change the text colors of the google search results. Try it yourself by going to www.cleanblack.com/theme/