1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Web Design I desperately need some help with the hardware template

Discussion in 'Web Design' started by ShirleyTemplate, Jun 9, 2009.

1. ShirleyTemplate

ShirleyTemplate New Member

To the person who designed the Hardware store template.... thank you. I love it.

I'm having a few problems though. There is a vertical line separating Newsletter and Categories from Flat monitor and Laser Printer. Is it possible to get it to go all the way down to the horizontal line at the bottom of the page?

I would also like some copyright text under the Special Offer picture.

There's probably more, but I'll start with this ;)

Thanks a million!

2. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Hi and welcome to FWT.
    Were glad you love the template.
    The vertical line you speak of is set in the style.css file under sector .sub_items
    You can view it there to see how it is made and works.
    The index.html calls it up under
    <div class="sub_items">
    so can just comment it out or remove it. Vertical Line be gone.

If you look at the section "start and end special offer", insert your text after the close division tag.

You might also want to reference w3schools.com for a understanding of the html and css code.

Keep us informed.

3. ShirleyTemplate

Oh, The copyright thing works, wahey!! I'm still a bit confused about the lines, but the penny will probably drop any second now, haha

Thank you so much, can I post here again if I run inte trouble?

4. ishkey

yes you can continue your post here.
    Now about the line. Open the index.html file in your favorite editor.
    Scroll down untill you find the code below Hint: Look for Laser Printer
    Now comment it out (in blue below) so the browser does not see it, but when you look at the code you can like this <!-- the code -->
    Your code now looks like this
    <!-- <div class="sub_items"> -->

Always save your changes. Preview it by clicking on the file it will open in your browser.

5. ShirleyTemplate

Aha!

I found another solution, I'm not 100% sure what I did but it looks fine and I'm happy with the layout. But thank you so much anyway! I looked at W3 as well, excellent page - I'll spend a lot a time there, what a goldmine.

I have another problem now... :eek: it's so embarassing, I feel like a real pain in your... well, you know..

The index/first page has a 348px square ("new_item_text") and a 245 px picture next to it ("new_item_image"). I want to remove the picture on some of the linked pages and have text only. I found the right place in the CSS coding, but when I changed the width from 348 to 600 px the changes were visible in all the linked pages. Argh.

I'm ashamed to admit this, I actually took a one year computer course (but that was ten years ago). I feel like I should know this stuff, but I don't. I'm completely lost and totally clueless *lol*

6. ishkey

Great observation - but you need to ask yourself why did every page change!
    You are working with a template which as is, designed, so everypage looks the same.
    Look at top of the index.html page in the <head> section, and you will see
    This one line of code shows up on all your pages and tells the browser to look in that file for the instructions to set up each page.
    You went in and changed some code, so all pages changed (to be expected).
    You could go in an add code just below the code you want to change, give it a name and then call that part of code on the one html page you want to change. This opens up endless possibilities. You have to look at both the css and html files to compare them, inorder to see how things are done.

7. ShirleyTemplate

It worked, it worked!! I'm so excited now, everything just fell into place. You have no idea how happy I am. I am so grateful you helped me. IOU my friend.

Now I've got to go to bed, it's after midnight here and my brain has turned into a baked potato. You've really helped, I can't wait until tomorrow when I get to continue.

Kind regards
    /Paula

8. ishkey

We just love that enthusiasm. You owe me nothing, but I'm sure you will be able to help someone else here on the forum. All it takes is, giving it a try to point someone in the right direction.
    Looking forward to reading your comments.

9. ShirleyTemplate

Wow, this is absolutely wicked! Things are starting to come back now... I copied the template to a different folder so I can mess around with the CSS for fun but keep my original page intact. This is just awesome. I feel like riverdancing in the living room, wahey!

I hadn't thought about the template being a ...hm...template. Copied, renamed and modified version of the CSS style sheet sure did the trick.

Thank you so much. I will do my best to help others here and irl. Cheers mate!

10. ShirleyTemplate

Hello hello, it's me again. I've been trying to figure out how to create an image gallery using CSS. So far I've managed pretty well changing this and that, but I'd like to be able to use thumbnails (and do all those neat little frames and borders and comments). Something like this:

http://shop.textalk.se/se/artgrp.php?id=2993&grp=49540

I as wrote earlier I checked out W3, and learned loads! But I wanted so bad to learn about images, and this was all I could find:

http://www.w3schools.com/css/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_image_gallery

I don't know if all of this is way over my limit (it probably is...) but what the heck - I'll do my best and give it a shot.

11. ishkey

Good choice ST - you can find tons of different ways to load graphics, but that one is quick and the coding is tight. It should work out just fine.

12. ShirleyTemplate

Hello, ST again..... I need some more help.....

I'm trying to create a password protected section for our members. I think I need to use PHP for that, is that true?

I've downloaded a script for it, but how do I go from there? I know absolutely NOTHING about PHP.... Arghhhh......

Kind regards
    /ST

13. ishkey

A good php script for login comes in three parts
    1. the part you see on the web page (the login)
    2. Which sends the info to php file on the server to process.
    3. It then uses a database to add or lookup people.

The info is either there or not, this is sent back to the php file which outputs to the users screen Come On In or Sorry No Such person.

14. ShirleyTemplate

Arghhh....this feels like Mission Impossible...I'd rather climb Mount Everest... I feel more like doing PCP rather than PHP *lol* ....and I was just starting to feel comfortable with CSS...

15. ShirleyTemplate

Can I combine the CSS code with PHP? If I can, how do I do it? I need it for the "members only" user section, but it drives me nuts. I also need a guestbook (well, kinda, I'm not gonna cry a thousand rivers if it's tricky)