1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Hardware What would be the best graphics card for the money?

Discussion in 'General' started by Anna Hussie, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Anna Hussie

Anna Hussie Banned

I am building a computer and I cannot decide which graphics card to get. So far it looks like everything is pointing towards the geforce over radeon. I was originally looking at getting an ati radeon x1900 xtx, but pushed more towards the geforce 7900 gtx. Then, I have also been reading about the new DirectX 10 coming out soon. I need a graphics card so I am not sure whether to get a decent cheaper card for now and then buy later or just buy a good one now. I was even debating getting a good graphics card now and then buying a good graphics card later that supports DirectX 10 (Would they be campatible and work together?) What should I get? I dont mind getting a good graphics card right now, if it is worth it. I will have the asus m2n32-sli deluxe motherboard running an AMD 4600 processor. I am planning on doing serious film editing and possible gaming.

2. lng

lng New Member

I'm a fan of nVidia cards. I have met the driver writers for AMD/ATI and they are wonderful people, but there are only a very few of them. nVidia has better support and better structure, in my opinion.

DirectX 10 has been out for some time, and most new cards support it.

What is your budget? What will you be doing with the PC?

I would recommend a GTX460 or higher, if you want to spend that much. Cards slower than those are not really worth purchasing in my opinion....but if your budget is $100ish I would suggest a 9800GT or 9800GTX.

Also, before you buy, make sure your power supply will handle the power!

3. Recidivist

Recidivist VIP Member

If you are planning to do 'serious' film editing and some gaming, an ATI/AMD 1900x or nVidia 7900 isn't going to cut it. They are practically ancient now. I don't know what you mean by 'serious' film editing, but I doubt your AMD 4600 is going to cut it either. Film editing it quite a resource hungry task, and it's not only the graphics card you'll need to upgrade (Not to mention that if you upgrade your graphics card you'll most likely have to upgrade your CPU, and if you upgrade your CPU there's a chance you'll need to upgrade your motherboard. Then you run the risk of getting a mobo that out-dates your RAM, which will then need an upgrade.)

DX10 has been out for ages. DX11 is already out. Me thinks you need to do a lot more research before you go buying anything. FYI, ignore anything big vendors say, 9 time out of 10 the specs they said were perfect for all your multimedia needs are no way near what you need.