1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General Win 7 not allowing Alleycode to edit webpage

Discussion in 'General' started by navyfalcon, Mar 12, 2012.

1. navyfalcon

navyfalcon Well-Known Member Verified Member

When I use Alleycode in Win 7 I get this message:
    Alleycode
    Cannot create file
    C:\Users\HTML\Reference\RedCrab4_StEx.html
    -
    Is Alleycode not compatible with Win 7
    It works great in Win XP (looks like another Microsoft trick)
    Is there a way around the problem ??
    -
    I will be doing research on it also, just want to know if someone already has the answer
    -
    Thank You
    falcon

2. tomw

tomw Member

I just downloaded it and I got no problem with it:
    alleycode.png

And I have no trouble of opening a new file.

3. navyfalcon

It downloads and works but trouble saving file
    -
    I contacted Alleycode via chat and they said not compatible with Win 7
    -
    HTML Kit and Sea Monkey are free and they say they are compatible with Win 7
    I will check and verify
    Any other suggestions ??
    -
    Thank You
    falcon

4. tomw

tomw Member

I opened a new file, made some changes, and then saved it. It all went ok.

5. navyfalcon

I will try again
    Thank You
    falcon

6. navyfalcon

I downloaded the newer version and it worked. The version I had was either corrupt or not new enough
    Thank You
    -
    falcon

7. tomw

tomw Member

I’m glad that the new download is working for you. As with most stuff, you have to keep it up to date. Good thing Alleycode is free; otherwise you go broke trying to stay current.

I use Epsilon for all my program editing, now include HTML and CSS. I have been using it since version 3. I think I paid $125 for it but they have never charged me anything for upgrading to the newest version.

Here is a copy I used when I upgraded my computer to Windows:
    epsilon.JPG

The version I’m currently using is 13. You can try it out free, but to keep it that will cost you $250.

8. navyfalcon

Because my website is Free Tutorials I use free HTML & CSS Editors. This way I can recommend what works for me.
    I have checked several newer HTML Editors (Free) that are Win 7 compatible and will soon be putting up tutorials with screenshots for them.
    -
    Thank You
    falcon

9. navyfalcon

Found "SeaMonkey" to be very similar to "Alleycode" and is Win 7 compatible. It is the best alternative I have found so far.
    http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
    I have tried several so far and I will keep trying to find the best 'free' win 7 compatible HTML Editor.
    -
    Thank You
    falcon

10. navyfalcon

11. tomw

tomw Member

I add a page into my website showing a list of free HTML editors. I will include yours once you posted them up.

12. navyfalcon

tomw Member

I add a page into my website showing a list of free HTML editors. I will include yours once you posted them up.​
    -​
    A list of free HTML editors is good but they need screenshots and tutorials to appeal to people and make them stand out from other listings. Usually the tutorials can be found by doing a search for them. Pick the best one(s) then put a link to it or them. Screenshots are easy to do, just PrtScrn button (rt side of F12) plus Shift will take a screenshot of the desktop (screen) then Paint (Accessories Paint) and paste will put the screenshot ready to save. Then use a Photo editor to size the screenshot to what you want.​
    -​
    Your list is good but add a few screenshots and rate them (your opinion) for beginners or advanced users, ease of use, with tutorials or help files, able to do both HTML and CSS, has a HTML validator, etc.​
    -​
    example:​
    AceHTML freeware tutorial​
    -​
    hope this helps​
    falcon​

13. tomw

tomw Member

I don't think there is need to include a tutorial when a link is provided. If visitors were interested with the editor they simply click on the link, which a screenshot of the site is also shown, and they will get more info directly by the author/owner. If you make one listing stand out, the visitors might think you are biased and just promoting your own preference.

14. navyfalcon

Your option
    falcon