1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General A Basic Primer

Discussion in 'General' started by ishkey, Aug 10, 2008.

1. stricklygfunk

stricklygfunk New Member

Good tutorial, just what i needed being a newbie :D

2. johnny1

johnny1 Banned

Great, Thanks so much, I am new to this site and to web design for that matter :) But it seems that a resource like this could be my new favorite place to go for help.

Thanks folks!

3. CeeA

CeeA New Member

Help please...

I've read through quite a few threads now - and the Basic Primer is best for a newbie like me...
    website is hoted by fxdomains
    and I've managed to upload all the files associated with the musicshop template.
    However - when I get to clicking on the index.html file -I'm just getting a black page with writing (background colours / artwork / layout etc)... am I doing something wrong?

4. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

From what you said "-I'm just getting a black page with writing (background colours / artwork / layout etc)" it sounds like a template, we just can not see your work.
    Maybe a link to the site might help.

5. Basic primer is very important & it is the basic which is must to know about & for further working, this should be the first & basic thing.

6. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

You have to give those signature spammers credit for trying to blend into the forum.
    (check out the link)--> telemartnetwork, not to mention the name gives it away and look at the different IP addresses.

7. ScreamsaverIT

ScreamsaverIT New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the helpful instructions. I must admit I felt lost when I downloaded the template. and your Basic Primer really helped me understand the files and how they worked together.
    Now, my only problem is the index.html file does not display in lines of text. It shows as one continuous line of text which is difficult to edit. I used Notepad to open the file. Any ideas on what to do?
    Thanks

8. ashih

ashih New Member

I have downloaded the template and can see: lot of files like: .html. css, images, fonts and pSD, please help how to proceed now?

9. ashih

ashih New Member

where is basic info text help, please assist?

10. ashih

ashih New Member

where is basic info text, i am not able to help,please assist:) Thank you for reading

11. Dawn

Dawn Community Manager

Hi Ashih, welcome to FWT! I believe the info you are looking for is in this post, as the links to the original file are probably all outdated by now.

12. nidhivyas

nidhivyas Member

I am not new to website development.
    I wanted to play around with some templates.
    I downloaded two and when I open the html file in my browser they do not look like they do on the website.
    What does this potentially mean?

13. Mimoun

Mimoun Administrator Staff Member Director Verified Member

@nidhivyas which website template did you download?
    Can you make a screenshot of your browser and upload it to the forum so I can see what the problem is to help you out with it.

14. Rosalie

Rosalie New Member Verified Member

Just open it in Google, not in Internet Explorer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2016