1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General need help

Discussion in 'General' started by johnny cash, May 25, 2009.

1. johnny cash

johnny cash New Member

I'm very new in this website stuff but i want to learn. My problem is i don't know how to edit the content on the template i downloaded (online movie store). I understand i should have an editor and i've been trying to open the "index.html" file for editing but when i right click on it i only get the option for 'open' which opens on firefox and not 'open with' to allow me to select notepad. How do i get the option to open with note pad for editing? what should i do? I'm already learning html and css on www.w3schools.com. please anyone help me with this.

2. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

not in the mood to fix an operating problem. google ie; (your op) "xp open with"
    in the mean time if you are going to use notepad to edit then get notepad++ http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
    it will install with edit in notepad++ on right click. plus the editor is far superior.
    trust me.
    when editing html it will show links to all division tags and more, making your learning experience that much easier.

3. ishkey

hey JC did that work for you?

4. johnny cash

johnny cash New Member

o.k i got the notepad++ but i still cant see the edit with notepad++ after right clicking. is there something i'm missing? maybe i should try install again

5. ishkey

did you use the exe format which is the one you need or the zip
    what operating system

6. johnny cash

johnny cash New Member

windows xp proffessional. which format do you suggest? i used the zip

7. ishkey

uninstall it and use the exe

8. johnny cash

johnny cash New Member

Thanks man, it worked you're a genius. i'll be back if i need more help

9. ishkey

anytime
    keep us posted on the work.
    genius... i like that

10. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

Another happy member!
    :D

11. ishkey

Hey JC see you are back how is it going with the website stuff?

12. johnny cash

johnny cash New Member

guideline

its going great, still studying but not very sure which parts to edit and which ones i shouldn't touch. creating hyperlinks is also a bit confusing. i need to create more pages, not very sure how to do that. can you tell me what i should start with to make my work easier. i'll be so glad if i manage to make this website work on my own

13. johnny cash

johnny cash New Member

how do i use note pad? cant seem to delte or add anything?

14. ishkey

notepad is a basic text editor: cut copy paste, ins key and del key, not much more
    why don't you try this html editor you might find it easy to use.
    http://www.alleycode.com/

start with the template you picked out, look for the content you view when in your browser and start editing the words in the code, that way you will see how the text flows in the code. then look at the graphics.
    to save a new page have open index.html and just save it as say links.html but before you do make sure you put some new text on the page or you might get confused.
    this should get you going.