1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General newbee help with template

Discussion in 'General' started by chefjimmy, Mar 14, 2009.

1. chefjimmy

chefjimmy New Member

ok i did read the basics,and i am reading the tutorials..i,m not the greatest with computers but i,m trying.right now my question is this..when i open the css file or the html file in word pad an attempt to edit...where can i or how can i view what i have done...i have coffee cup editor but i dont know how to use it so i havnt..the changes i attemted were simple change the text type editing..and i save the file when done,and i save it to the same location to overwrite it..but how do i view what i have done?the template i chose to try was templte32..thanks to all who made this possible..i just need a way to view my success and failure..thanks in advance for any direction i,m given..tho i doubt i,ll ever be good enough to help another poor soul..should anyone need a great recipe..i,m your guy

2. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Darn good question and you even explained it which is more than most people due when asking. Congrates to you.
    Ok let's think this one threw. You were browsing the internet for a template and you used IE or Opera or some browser right. You found a template, downloaded it and edited it. ( Coffee Cup is easy and powerfully shouldn't take you long) Now you want to look at it and maybe upload it so we all can see it. A browser is just that it reads the CSS and HTML code. Put your mouse on the file and click, it will open up in your browser on your pc. Your PC or Mac is just the same as a Server on the net only you are sitting right next to it. As a matter of fact you could turn it into a server very easley.
    Recipes are always welcome.

3. chefjimmy

chefjimmy New Member

let me be more clear

ok i downloaded it from this site..it was titled template32..i unzipped it,i read in its entirity a sticky by you titled a basic primer...i opened the 4 seperate zip files and explored them as you suggested...then i started the tutorials..through the links you suggested...i then opened the html doc and tried to just edit the header...i saved it,,,but now i,m looking at for seperate files titled style source.psd images and index...i tried to edit in word pad...but before i really messed up i wanted to see if i was doing the right thing...but i have no way of doing that unless you can help..i do have coffee cup editor..but i,ve never used it..i hope i,m being more clear on where im at and what i,m trying to do...and i thank you for your time

4. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

There are 2 different types of files to edit. Files with code, words you can read (i.e. html and CSS) you use a text editor software. Then there are picture files those you can not read, you use a graphic editor. (jpg, gif, png, psd, to name the most popular) If you search the forum you will find listed both and several freeware versions. Again coffee cup is easy and has several tutorials and videos on how to use it.

5. chefjimmy

chefjimmy New Member

the progress was going ok until...

i was doing ok{lets face it someone else did all the work},ie making buttons have correct desitinations...these destinations were,slowed because i had to in some cases take time out of the html scripting to invent them.but i was doing ok...until the graphics part...i read what you said...i got a graphics editor{gimp2}i read sections by others members....i tried to no avail to change the banner...the best i got was making the other disappear,in a moment of clarity{not often for a guy from the 70s}i had dl,ed my template twice...just in case i did irrepairable harm,i made a flash banner that i really liked but got totally lost reading how to do it...in gimp2 i tried everything..finally i tried taking the existing banner out and giving the new banner the same extension...no luck,it just removed the old one leaving the new one gray..if someone can help great,i would appreciate it,i,m trying to do this,but i,m really banging my head here

6. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

Take a deep breath and slow down Jimmy. :)

Kudos to you mate, you may feel like banging your head against a wall but at least you're willing to have a go. (at sorting this template out, not banging ya' head.)
    I can't figure out which template is "template 32".
    Just found it - "Slave to the Game"
    Do you need a hand with altering the graphics?

CP

7. chefjimmy

chefjimmy New Member

oh yes i do

and i tried very hard to follow the guide lines you established,but i,m just missing something...but in answer to your question i very much need help...i,ll await your response..oh hey if possible i would much rather use the free flash banner i created but any will help,i was going to upload the files but i noticed the flash banner is not in valid attachments..i,ll wait further instructions

8. chefjimmy

chefjimmy New Member

ok heres the files

it would not let me upload the swf file or if we could get my name {feltfanatics}on to their grapic in place of slave to the game that would be great too!

Attached Files:

9. CovertPea

Flash stuff isn't my thing.
    Anyhow, here's the altered header for you.

Cheers
    CP

10. chefjimmy

chefjimmy New Member

thank you so very much

i jusy want to let you know how much i appreciate you taking time out of your life to help me with this,i really do appreciate it.

11. CovertPea

You're most welcome Jimmy. :)

Good luck with the site!

CP

12. chefjimmy

chefjimmy New Member

tho you did the work for me

i have still been reading and typing n previewing...and saying YES!..or in some cases rubbing my eyes and groaning oh nooooo!so i,ve had to learn to edit some of the images...i,m getting a decent grasp on it...and i now can see how you applied my company name to the banner....would you mind explaning to me how you took slave to the games out?i use gimp2...it would help alot not here so much but for later

13. CovertPea

It was much easier with that particular template as the "Slave to the Games" wording was still in it's original TEXT format (not rasterised). The layer styles remained too (the fluffy whitish outer glow around the text)
    so
    all I did was double click on the text in the layers palette (which highlights the text) and typed over with your text.
    I'm not sure how Gimp handles Photoshop's text formatting, I do know that Paint shop pro won't even recognise it or its layer styles.

If you need a hand with other graphic bits, let me know.

CP

14. chefjimmy

chefjimmy New Member

layers pallet

i keep seeing layer this or that...but i,m oblivious

15. KielSolomon18

KielSolomon18 New Member

Need help for using css

I am a student who want to know how to put a css code in my web page.

16. chefjimmy

chefjimmy New Member

a little more information please,perhaps an idea of which template?