1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting own Web Design Small Business.

Discussion in 'General' started by oliversmith, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oliversmith

oliversmith New Member

Hi everybody,
    I am planning to start my own web developing business. First, I will be starting off at home and then seeing how it goes and will decide to take it to a bigger level. Keeping in mind the present scenario, web designing and internet based business are proving to be one of the most profitable businesses, but having said that it’s important here to deliver the best. I just want to get as much information as I can and tips before really getting into it. I am planning to start with one or two small projects and then thinking of expanding my business when having enough of work and resource. What do you people think on that?

2. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Go for it. Just remember everything has price. You will find people will pay for the web but ALWAYS will want more afterwards and think you should do everything for free. I found it's best to spell out your terms up front. It's your business and most have no idea what things cost or the time that goes into it. Remember it is a very crowded market out there.

3. ramyam

ramyam New Member

Hi oliversmith ,
    yes it is really very good idea ,now a days internet based business and web developing business are to be boom very much ,i think you chose better way to do your business,i wish you success in your business ............

============
    Ramya

Business Opportunities

4. rickmaron

rickmaron New Member

Web design business

Starting a web design business requires the following capabilities.

1. A true artistic sense of design, not just knowing ow to push pixels around in Photoshop, most important this is you need a PORTFOLIO of work that is other sites you've done.
    2. A basic but solid understanding of how the Internet works, knowledge of DNS, Web Servers, Browsers.
    3. General knowledge of Internet business costs, and regulations.
    4. Some programming knowledge (most sites today are far more that just plain HTML) , or at minimum access to good programming help (from places like Craigslist or a Freelance site)
    5. The ability TO SELL YOUR SERVICE, at the end of the day web design shops are a dime a dozen (because of the low startup costs) so you need to be able to excite people and convince them to go with you.. the Portfolio of past work helps this, but its also your personal sales tact.
    6. Added value, be able to provide maintenance, support, search engine placement etc.

It's like any other service business , once you get good at it, business comes to you.
    for more help try this link
    Forex Reviews

5. CovertPea

CovertPea Moderator Staff Member Verified Member

(here's my humble two cents worth)

Seems that every man and his dog and his dog's family are trying to start up some kind of web based business!

We've been running our business for 15 years, (IT training, web and graphics design plus the odd pc repair work) and still we have no website.

Obviously we are doing something right as most of our new clients contact us via recommendations from present clients.
    Can't beat word of mouth advertising!

We've never bought a thing via the web and if our clients asked our advice on making web transactions, we tell them the same.
    I'm not saying all web based businesses are fraudsters but the many 'here today, gone tomorrow' kind out there really taint it for those who are honest operators.

Businesses such as ours don't need a lot of capital to start up, apart from a computer and a phone the rest of your 'tools of trade' are in your head. Just like Oliver Smith's idea of starting a web design biz, that's all the physical gear he'll need to get started.

As for the business minded side of the story:
    Rickmaron's advice is absolutely great.
    If you haven't got top of the line design sense to begin with, you've lost the race before you've even left the starting gate.
    Personal service is such an extremely important part of any business and unfortunately, this is the service most web businesses fall short of.

Rather than being solely dependent on the web to get business, the web should be used as no more than an extra 'tool' of your trade.

I truly wish you well in the future.
    Keep us updated okay.
    CP

6. John Navara

John Navara New Member

well, I hope that you will reach success because nowadays it is not so to develop your web biz as it seemes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.