1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

General Upload to site question

Discussion in 'General' started by pusscat, Oct 22, 2009.

1. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Maybe it's time to talk to your host and ask him to fix it on that end.
    I have managed some very large companies backends servers, from specing out the hardware to all the software and physically installing everything. My gray matter is 54 years young and nowhere in it can I find how the site can alter files. When you find out how this was done please let me know so I can file it away.
    Go get Alleycode Free HTML editor wysiwyg - Alleycode HTML, Text, PHP editor , Free website testing tools install it and use it, your life will be better for it.

2. pusscat

pusscat New Member

Thanks Ishkey,

It how have done the edit, on the cpanel html editor for my pages, have used that to do some of it, and when the box for editing comes up it has the charset in a drop down list, so havent noticed that its set wrong, hence why if upload the file its fine, but if go in and edit it after its changed it. Am going to have to get used to changing the charset if use the sites editor, its the easy quick option for me I know, but still coding html in there as cant code through it any other way on a template.

How come I had moderation on earlier ???

Thanks

Angie

3. ishkey

You double posted in the same forum post - spam software sees that as possible spam.

Do not use the cpanel editor as it is java based and is prone to errors, maybe some day in the future it will come into it's own.

To edit online use an independent FTP program like FTP Wanderer 3.0 FTP Wanderer 3.0 or use Allycode it has a built in FTP program.

The safest way is to "NOT EDIT" on line unless you edit on a regular basis.
    Do your editing on your pc, then with a stand alone FTP program upload your file. cpanel is good for somethings and not for others. It was created to bring more customers in and has it's short comings. People want everything layed out for them in one neat package ie., cpanel

As you can see by trying to make your life easy and saving on software costs cpanel has made your life a learning experience.
    But posted here are free programs which work better at no cost.

When you discover a problem and what tools are needed to fix it - it is wise not to go back to the old ways or the old tools.

I am hoping you dump cpanel for your editing and move on to building your website.
    Have to go take care of other things - keep us posted.

1 person likes this.
  4. pusscat

pusscat New Member

Thanks Ishkey
    Am nearly there with the validating now I think,

and a massive massive massive big major thank you to you for all the help you have been really really great and extremely patient aswell.

Yeah its just a easy shortcut way I know of editing, but I found for basic webpages its fine.

If could get my head around dreamweaver, have cs4 sat on my comp taking up space doing nothing at all. Would be alot easier, but same for templates Photoshop is beyond me, I use paintshop pro x2 all the time, or bryce and daz3ds.

Front page can use but the code it uses is yukkkkkkk and its not supported on my host either.

Will let you know how I go as one page left to sort and am done :) at last hopefully fingers crossed.

Angie

5. ishkey

Let me try this approach to old bad habits.
    The comparision method I used to use on my employees.

We all have many tools - the question is which is the proper tool for that job.
    It's something we face all of our lives, in everything we do, everyday.
    Which choice we make determines the outcome.
    It's that simple.

It used to be that if you wanted to remove a bolt, you would use the proper sized box wrench.
    Then someone invented the cresent wrench, 3 differenet sizes took the place of 30 box wrenchs.
    Problem was and is a cresent wrench has a tendency to round the bolt head and ruin it, not good.
    Both wrenchs work...

Let's take those 40 fish, for this example I will say they are fresh water fish.
    You set up a new salt water tank, but the new fish haven't arrived, so you take 20 fish out of the fresh water tank and put them into the second salt water tank. The fish will live for a few hours, because they are in water and water has the oxygen that they need.
    Problem is they are not equipped to filter out the salt, so it builds up to the point where the oxygen flow stops, they sufficate and die.
    Both fish tanks work...

Maybe an example about kids???

Which choice we make determines the outcome.
    How we learn to refine those choices is how we grow.

Dreamweaver is powerful with a steep learning curve, for about a day. You need to learn how to set it up, so the files know how to link to each other, this is the hardest part. (this is how frontpage was set up - now called expression web) The rest comes easy.

Photoshop is not beyond you if you can use the other 3. It's biggest difference, it is set up for keyboard shortcuts.
    Learn the basic ones and you will add it to your arsenal of tools.

6. pusscat

pusscat New Member

I know what you saying Ishkey,

Suppose in someways its down to taking an easy road aswell.

Have done all my editing as such in notepad
    But small bits of editing in cpanel, say if a word needs changing etc or other small bits like that.
    Still editing using html but its more than likely whats messed it up on me.

Will have to have a good look through dreamweaver and photoshop as thats on disc somewhere, will start with dreamweaver first. Get used to coding etc with that, then look at photoshop.

Have used paintshop pro for over 10 years and am still learning things about that, and suppose its what puts me off photoshop as its more powerful.

But will get there in the end.

Last page to edit and am doing it in notepad then uploading to site not using cpanel.

And another big major thank you to you for all the help.

Angie

7. pusscat

pusscat New Member

Phewwwwwwwwwww its validated for me finally has only took most of the day, just glad had a free day as now can concentrate on getting my content sorted and uploaded.

Just want to say Ishkey you deserve a medal for sticking with me for so long on this your a star thank you so much.

Hopefully soon I will know enough myself to give something back aswell.

Angie

8. ishkey

You can always reduce a problem down to the least common denominator in order to take the easy road. That's know as working smart with the least amout of energy and that's a good thing.
    But after weighing out all these posts here and else where, the amount of time, work, editing, saving, uloading, deleting. It turns out the path of least resistance streched across the planet to reach our destination.
    I guess it all depends on how low you reduce the problem down.

I still use Paintshop ( I'm up to V10), Photoshop CS3 and Xara Pro4 for vectors plus a few others for specalized work or for a type of work I am use to doing with that software.
    Never did like Dreamweaver but I'm trying to use it. I mainly use CuteHTML Pro6 and Topstyle Pro for css work. For FTP it's CuteFTP 7Pro.

9. pusscat

pusscat New Member

Time, editing, deleting and uploading,

Think my pages have been edited then deleted from site then edited ones uploaded so many times today have lost count lol.

Its taught me alot,

I have wsftp, paintshopprox2 dreamweaver photoshop cs4 on disc (somewhere) plus daz3ds, bryce 5.5, carrara, and hexagon

am learning bryce and daz, then will turn to learning modelling in hexagon and learning carrara.

My art in my gallery is from bryce and my first attempts.
    hopefully my downloads will be available over the next few days to a week.

Css is my next one to learn once have my html correctly. Can understand css but writing it is a different matter.

As they say rome wasnt built in a day but will get there eventually.

10. nidhivyas

nidhivyas Member

I am agree with your answer .
    Very nice sharing information...
    Thanks lots.......