1. This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used.
    For information on cookies and how you can disable them visit our Cookie Usage page.
    Dismiss Notice

PHP Web Busness Directory

Discussion in 'Web Development' started by Jiggles, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Jiggles

Jiggles Member

Me and djwilson are trying to start up our own DJ/ Mobile Disco listing site. WE kind of need pointers on how to get started programming the site. I have a little bit of knowledge in PHP and i want to learn more. I was wondering if someone was nice enough to help us along with this. giving us advice and me and djwilson program it?

Thanks

Callum

2. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

Long time no hear.
    How has it been going helpimadj?
    When bmcoll3278 drops in I'm sure he can point you in the right direction, but until then I'll try to help.

1. I would create the entire site in php - but mindful of your coding due to spammers.
    2. A database would be very useful for storing all the clients.
    3. A secure login would be required if they are going to register themselves with some sort of check system before they would be listed.
    4. For the display you could use 4 includes.
    a. header
    b. body
    c. sidebar
    d. footer​

If the coding gets to hard - maybe look at using and modding Joomla or wordpress. Both of those have several plugins and mods to help achieve SEO and fancy displays.

Is it possible you could supply some detail as to the direction this is headed.
    I always like to start out with a road map to where I am headed. I even put down on paper all the the side trips I want to take, even if I never take them.
    It helps with the planning and programming.

3. Jiggles

Jiggles Member

Sorry I haven't been on for a while had some problems but I'm back now!

1) PHP and MySQL it was going to be programmed in as its the only one that I ever see to work 100% xD

2) Above

3) Like MD5 hashing and such?

4) See my 'I'm going to kill it' thread for the layout.

Hate Joomla and Wordpress with vengeance! xD I'm going to be using Website Baker as the CMS for it. But the system doesn't really need to work with that to separate Admin areas is fine.

4. ishkey

ishkey Moderator, Logos, Sports Crests Staff Member Verified Member

I look at 'I'm going to kill it' and Website Baker.
    Your not a CakePHP type guy?

5. Jiggles

Jiggles Member

Dunno what CakePHP is so no. :D

Website Baker is just a CMS system that for me is easier to make templates for than like Joomla and such.

6. helgavalerie

helgavalerie New Member

To helpimadj ))

Can you please tell what is there about Joomla and WP that you hate? I mean is there anything personal, or what...
    I'm not going to argue, I just think may be you can tell something that might be helpful to those who were planning to use one of those))
    Thanks.

7. Jiggles

Jiggles Member

They are both all overly complex in comparison to like Website Baker and Project CMS. Making a theme isn't a straight forward thing imo.

8. Jiggles

Jiggles Member

Right I have the listing pages sorted. I need to work on is the page that lists all the listings for a specific area. Then if they are gold, silver or standard lister and display the correct background image (gold or silver) or just a link. Then on to the admin and user control panels (More on them later)! Then secure it all up somehow.

Help! :eek:

9. Jiggles

Jiggles Member

So far:

I have a login script
    registration scrip
    and a user page that displays the user CP and such.

What need to be done:
    the page that lists all the listings for a specific area. Then if they are gold, silver or standard lister and display the correct background image (gold or silver) or just a link.

User CP where they can update there own info. (Image upload and rename needed here too.)

Admin back end.

Any pointers will be great!

10. Jiggles

Jiggles Member

Can anyone help me?